Apr 4, 2013

Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


Title: Shadow and Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
Publication Date: 6.5.2012
Pages: 358
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Grisha #1
Source: ARC from a friend

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.

Review:
This was a masterpiece. Bardugo crafted an amazing world. One you could only think actually existed. It was actually its own little world, complete with its own bit of history. Ravka and world it was in was magical, enchanting, exciting and suspenseful.

Alina, Mal, the Darkling, an even the other Grisha were so detailed. I know that Alina was the main character here but the glimpse you get of everyone makes it hard to have a favorite or even peg Alina as the main character. I loved reading into their lives and Leigh allows you to do just that.

Even with its fictional base, it's definitely believable. You can compare the Shadow Fold to any leverage that waring countries could have over each other. The advantage of controlling it and using anything or anyone to get that power translates easily.

I cannot wait to read more into this amazing world. I expect the sequel to be just as addictive as this.  Anyone who reads this will fall in love with Ravka, Alina, and her epic journey to discover herself, understand what's within her, and to follow her heart - not her eyes or ears.

Reviewer: Gabrielle

8 comments:

  1. Yes! I loved this one as well. Can't wait for Siege and Storm!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! It's one of my favorites and I loved the sequel even more, believe it or not. Wonderful review!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost done with this one and loving it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you loved this! Isn't it just amazing?! I can't wait to read Siege & Storm. Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the world didn't feel like fiction at all. I was so hooked to the story and the characters, that everything felt like the real deal :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I cannot wait to read the sequel either! Ain't wait to get more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read this one but, I know that I need to change this one because I really enjoy high fantasy so I hope to love this one.

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!