Apr 23, 2013

Review: Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike


Title: Life After Theft
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 4.30.2013
Pages: 352
Genre: Paranormal
Series: No
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: B

Summary (from Goodreads):
Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto. 

No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.

Clash meets sass in this uproarious modern-day retelling of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Review:
Hello high school drama, with a twist! I laughed and gasped and felt right along with Jeff and Kimberlee.

Great characters. Aprilynne Pike nailed this on the head. Being the new guy, Jeff cannot be anymore different. You get a glimpse of the life he left behind while seeing his new life unfold in ways he could never imagine. I always like having a character you can relate to. Kimberlee seems like the typical popular girl. But even she has secrets. Learning about Kimberlee definitely made you gasp. Even though these were two people were the main focal point, Pike lets you see into a few others and through it all connects them.

The thing I think I liked most was the little lessons you learn on the way. Not necessarily you the reader, unless you got into this as much as I did.

Pike did an amazing job delivering this funny, heartfelt, tragic twist on the usual high school drama scene.

Buy: Amazon | The Book Depository
Reviewer: Gabrielle

3 comments:

  1. There's a tragic twist to this book? I never would have guessed that based on the cover, I thought it was going to be a cute, light little story. I haven't read, nor do I know anything about, the Scarlet Pimpernel though, so I didn't really know what to expect from this one. So glad you enjoyed it Gabrielle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to this one, I love her Wings series :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!