Dec 11, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu


Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Publication Date: 8.7.12
Pages: 308
Genre: Dystopian
Series: Yes (Glitch #1)
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

Review:
Glitch is an entertaining and thrilling debut from Heather Anastasiu. While I will admit the plot sound vaguely familiar as far as dystopians go (controlled society where people start to realize they have emotions), what sets this apart is Anastasiu’s imaginative descriptions and relatable characters.

Watching Zoe “wake up” and start to react to the world around her was fascinating and downright fun. I loved her confusion and excitement. I loved watching her newfound ability as a telekinetic come about and the way she starts to perceive and respond to situation. I was holding my breath as she struggled to maintain her façade as ‘normal’ while glitching.

I definitely preferred Adrien to Max from the jump. There was something about Max I just didn’t trust, and I found myself rooting for Zoe and Adrien almost the entire book. I’m not a huge fan of triangles and waiting to see how they play out—when introduced to two guys in a novel, I pick one and rarely jump ship throughout a series. I picked Adrien and something tells me I made a good call.

While it would be easy to overlook Glitch among shelves filled with dystopians and science fiction, I implore you not to. This gem of a novel was a fast read, and I can’t wait to see what happens next. Grab this book if you want something delicious to sink into.

13 comments:

  1. I got this book on NetGalley a couple of months ago but didn't read it because of the negative reviews but you liked it and it does sounds interesting. I just might pick it up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this a lot. I am looking forward to part 2 this winter :) Max was a total wack a doodle!
    I'd say it is a bit familiar as far as the theme goes, but the author added enough zooze to it so it set it apart and made Glitch entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max was CRAZY! And this February, I am ALL over Override!

      Delete
  3. I got Glitch in my TBR pile now. Cool review!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds good! I'm adding this series to my wishlist! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book, great review. I can't wait until Override releases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your review! I didn't read this one yet (even though I LOVE sci-fi dystopians) because of the mixed reviews I've been seeing. But I'm planning to check it out soon because of your review. I love good world-building!

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen the book cover a few times but never stopped and read the overview. The book sounds really good and something that I would enjoy reading. Your review was great. This book will be on my wishlist for sure!! Thank you for adding another book to my already loonnnggg wishlist!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds really great. I love the story and I love your review. But I'm not in to the cover (I'm a cover lover by the way *grinning*). Thanks for the review, I have to put this book on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! This has been patiently sitting on my shelf for months. I really need to read it before the sequel gets released!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I've seen a lot of mixed reviews of it which have made me skeptical about picking it up, but your positive review makes me want to give this one a try! I'm sorry you weren't able to connect with the characters - that's always a huge aspect for me too - but I do like good world-building, so perhaps I'll enjoy this one. Brilliant review, as usual! :D

    Irene (LaRose Guide Service)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!