Dec 12, 2012

Review: The Fame Game by Lauren Conrad


Title: The Fame Game
Author: Lauren Conrad
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 4.3.2012
Pages: 313
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Yes (The Fame Game #1 & companion to L.A. Candy series)
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: B+

Summary (from Goodreads):
In Hollywood, fame can be found on every corner and behind any door. You just have to know where to look for it. Nineteen-year-old Madison Parker made a name for herself as best frenemy of nice-girl-next-door Jane Roberts on the hot reality show L.A. Candy. Now Madison's ready for her turn in the spotlight and she'll stop at nothing to get it. Sure, she's the star of a new show, but with backstabbing friends and suspicious family members trying to bring her down, Madison has her work cut out for her. Plus, there's a new nice girl in "reality" town—aspiring actress Carmen Price, the daughter of Hollywood royalty—and she's a lot more experienced at playing the fame game... When the camera's start rolling, whose star will shine brighter?

Review:
I have never read Lauren Conrad’s L.A. Candy series. To be totally honest, I considered them somewhat autobiographical considering Conrad’s well-televised history and the concept matter. And, being brutally honest, I never cared much about either show she was on.

It was only after I saw my sister-in-law ravenously reading her books that I thought I would give them a try, and I feel like I owe Ms. Conrad an apology. I judged her books based on pre-conceived notions of who she was as a person, and I was wrong. The only reason I’m acknowledging this is because I have a sinking suspicion that I’m not the only person to feel this way.

While I doubt this series will win a noble prize, The Fame Game is fun. It’s very much a feel-good, don’t take things too seriously kind of book. It’s very much in the same vein as Gossip Girl, The Lying Game, and Pretty Little Liars. These are all series that have developed a strong fanbase because they are just good, guilty-pleasure fun.

I found myself genuinely enjoying Madison and following her exploits throughout the book. Yes, some of the situations were over the top and somewhat ridiculous, but it made me laugh and smile frequently. Conrad has a knack for writing amusing, vivid characters. And I’m a sucker for the exploits of a celebrity-esque world. You have to admit, if ever there was a case to me made for “Write what you know,” Conrad has that down cold.

The writing is a bit green at times, with Conrad having a habit of flat out telling a situation versus letting it unfold before the reader, but that is a thing that comes with time. I have no doubt if I went back and read her first series, I would see quite a bit of growth as a writer.

I really hope other people will set aside their preconceptions of this author (and other celebrity authors) and give this book a fair shot. I can admit that had there been an unknown author name attached to this book, I would have more than likely picked this up before now. Shame on me for that. But shame on you if you feel the same way I did and you don’t give this book a shot. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

5 comments:

  1. I read the first one in the series and enjoyed it a lot.
    Nicole Richie wrote one I liked a lot too. Something about Diamonds.
    I like what you wrote about ppl giving the celeb authors a fair shake.
    I was highly entertained by Nicole Richies book.
    I am beginning to feel blog stalker-ish now..lol
    Have a gr8 night..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK - I enjoy a good blog stalking. ;)

      And yes, I was very glad I gave this author a chance.

      Delete
  2. I sometimes like to read light, fun books similar to this one, so I'll check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a series that the kids would love so definitely one I gotta check out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the honest and interesting review! I have to admit I was like you, thinking that Lauren Conrad's books were like journals at best, or written by a ghost-writer at worst, so it is a pleasant surprise to see that these books were fun and entertaining to read, and that Lauren Conrad seems to have another hidden talent. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!