Dec 20, 2012

Guest Post: Jade from The Real Mermaids


Real Mermaids Festive Treats

Hi everyone! Jade here from Real Mermaids.

One of my favourite things about the upcoming holidays is the great treats we get to make and share. I love food so much, in fact, that I included a recipe for some of my favourite snacks in each of the Real Mermaids books.

My friend Cori and I thought we’d experiment a bit and ‘holiday-ize’ each recipe for you!

In Real Mermaids Don’t Hold Their Breath, Cori and I were totally desperate for a sleepover snack so Cori whipped up a batch of chocolate covered popcorn with some popcorn kernels, chocolate chips, a brown paper bag and a microwave. I’m not kidding—that girl’s a genius! We added some candy cane sprinkles here to give it that festive touch.

Chocolate Popcorn with Candy Cane Sprinkles

Supplies:
- brown paper lunch bag
- stapler
- measuring cup
- microwave

Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- pinch of salt

- 3 candy canes, crushed

Pour the popcorn kernels into a brown paper lunch bag then fold the top of the bag ¼ of an inch, twice. Secure with two staples (trust me, Cori Googled it!) at the folded part to seal the bag shut. Put the bag flat in the microwave and cook on HIGH for about two minutes. Each microwave is different, though, so you may need to adjust the time.

Meanwhile, add the brown sugar, chocolate chips, butter/margarine and salt to a microwave-safe measuring cup. Cook on HIGH for about 15 seconds or until the gooey buttery-chocolaty mixture is melted. Mix well with a fork then pour it over the popcorn.

Toss like a salad, add the candy cane sprinkles on top and munch away!

Happy treats and have a great holiday, everyone!

Love,

Jade


4 comments:

  1. Delicious! Jade stopped by my blog yesterday. I'm hoping more of the blogs I follow have stops with her since there's no tour schedule! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! I'll swing by and see what she had to say at yours!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this recipe! I love mermaid books!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!