Dec 3, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (11)



This is a shiny, new blogger meme hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth Reviews. It's time to open up and share (and vent) about our blogging experiences!

The question is:
December 3, 2012:  Do you have a monthly book budget? How has it changed since you started blogging? Do you get more free books now that you have access to publishers/authors/other bloggers or is your book buying budget even higher than when you started? 

I think the biggest change is that now I have to budget or I would go crazy. I used to go on book binges and buy 5-15 books at a time, but this was usually only a couple times a year.


Yes, I will admit since I started blogging I get free books. A lot. Sometimes more than I know what to do with. But that doesn't always mean I get the books I want. There's a ton of books I really want to read but the publisher doesn't send me a copy. And then there's the times I get an ARC and love it, but then I want a finished copy of it for my personal collection.

Hence why I must budget how many books I buy - there's just so many. Thankfully, though, blogging has also helped me become more selective in what I buy. Sometimes I will get an advanced copy or finished copy of a book I really wanted to read, and then when I get done I realize I either didn't enjoy it or probably won't read it again. If I'm going to send $12 on a book (yes, I shop at Amazon where the hardback prices are much lower than stores), I want to make sure it's something I'll enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. That's what happened to me. I used to go on these big book buying benders when I started blogging but I would go broke and I don't always love them all. I ended up giving them away. I'm much more selective now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMg sounds like my thought with books. I want to read and there are books i get on my kindle, and there are other books that just come here. I am more selective and my reading tastes have changed over time. I heart amazon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more selective in my spending too. I try to utilize the library, but I take out books and then have to return them before I even open them...so sometimes I feel like I "have" to buy the book.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!