Oct 10, 2012

Baltimore Book Festival 2012


Baltimore Book Festival
Sept. 28-30, 2012

I was so excited to hear about the Baltimore Book Festival, and even more giddy when I heard who would be there - Jeri Smith-Ready, Alethea Kontis, Leanna Renee Hieber, and Jennifer L. Armentrout to name a few. I immediately planned to go, grabbed a friend of mine, and we headed down.


Jennifer L. Armentrout & me
Friday was the first day and there was a meet and greet we caught the tail end of. Imagine my complete and utter elation at seeing Jennifer L. Arementrout as I walked up. I had met her briefly at BEA in New York a few months ago, and as soon as I saw her, I will honestly admit I did the gawking-fan!girl thing for a minute. I don't think she saw, but I literally had to work up the nerve to talk to her, but I was so glad I did. Not only did she graciously take a picture with me and sign some books I brought, she remembered me!


Jennifer L. Armentrout, Jeri Smith-Ready, Claudia Gabel & Lea Nolan
We also got to catch the YA panel for Writing Young Adult Romance. The guest speakers were Jennifer L. Armentrout, Jeri Smith-Ready, Claudia Gabel and Lea Nolan. I loved hearing about their experience with YA and their varying views on cliffhangers. I know now that before I go threatening my favorite author after a cliffhanger, I'll pause and remember a lot of the time it's the publisher, not the author, that pushes for that. I also discovered Jeri Smith-Ready loves the Morganville Vampire series as much as I do.

We wandered around a bit more, and then headed home. I will sadly admit that I got so caught up in the Maryland Romance Writer's schedule that I totally missed the Science Fiction tent and the fact that Diana Peterfreund was there. *headdesk* I also met her at BEA and spaced on remembering she was from Maryland, also.


Leanna Renee Hieber & Alethea Kontis
We went back Saturday for the last time (I had plans on Sunday, sadly) and again caught the YA panel. This time Alethea Kontis and Leanna Renee Hieber joined the stage and attracted a ton of attention for their awesome clothing choices. These girls were hysterical and I loved listening to them talk. All the authors on the panel read a selection from their books. I must say it was a tie for my favorite reading between Hieber and Kontis - both have bright futures on stage if this whole book writing thing doesn't work out. Jennifer Armentrout read the first chapter of Opal, book #3 in the Lux series. I enjoyed hearing about Katy waking with with a boy other than Daemon in her bed.

Heh. Yes, I really said that.

Afterwards I got some more signed books, some swag, and the chance to talk to some really awesome authors. In all? A great way to spend the weekend.

1 comments:

  1. Omg Hannah, you're brilliant! You know I actually said that to my parents once, but backwards. "If the acting thing doesn't pan out, I'll just be a writer." I was about 10 at the time. :-)

    It was so wonderful to see you--and thank you again do much for this wonderful picture of me & Leanna! I made it my FB profile pic. It captures us SO WELL.

    Much love! Xox

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!