Jan 2, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (1)



This is a shiny, new blogger meme co-hosted by Tiger from Tiger's All Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth Reviews. It's time to open up and share (and vent) about our blogging experiences!

Our first question is:

January 2nd: How has the "job" of book blogging changed your reading habits? Both pro and con.


Blogging has become a huge part of my world. The good part of it is that it has exposed me to new books I probably wouldn't have heard of, and it has also given me a way to converse with authors. I have also met some incredible people (bloggers) and formed friendships with them. That part was an unexpected blessing; making friends with people who share one of my biggest passions.

The worst part is I sometimes feel like I no longer read for fun. I've spent the first year of my blogging career (is that the right word?) trying to establish myself. I have contacted authors and publicists and publishers, trying to form a working relationship with them and I have found that because of that, I have little time to read what I want unless I luck out and a publisher sends it to me for review. I have also found myself overwhelmed by the amount of books I have gotten (look at this week's IMM - I got 30+ books!).

One last pro, because it's always good to end on a positive, is BEA (Book Expo America). I had never heard of this amazing event before June of this past year. Now I'm planning on going this year (I even have my hotel room booked and all!). I can't wait to interact with authors, publishers, and bloggers on a one-on-one level, instead of with a computer screen.

6 comments:

  1. I hope I get to meet you at BEA!! This will be my 3rd year going.
    If you think you're overwhelmed by books now wait until after BEA. lol
    That experience sent me into my first ever reading slump.
    It's amazing though, I can't recommend it enough. I've met so many great people there and NYC is amazing.
    Thanks for being part of our shiny new meme :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Blogging broadens your reading tastes and makes you all kinds of awesome new friends, but it does feel a little more like a "job" at times. But then we get fun treats like BEA to bring the joy back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Hannah! I so agree w/you about the pros of blogging. The friends I've made and books Ives discovered have changed my life for the better. I Aldo agree about feeling overwhelmed. My goal is to read for enjoyment this year!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post! I agree that blogging can sometimes take the fun out of reading, but it also introduces us to so many exciting new authors we may never have discovered otherwise! And you're right about BEA, which I had never heard of before I started blogging! Hoping that I can go again this year, as last year was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I would never have discovered amazing books if not for the awesome people I met here. :) I also agree with the "no fun" part. Sometimes blogging and reading becomes a chore. But let's not forget to relax sometimes and just let things be that way we could have more fun and have more control of things.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!